Tuesday, February 10, 2015

DIY Soy Candles

I love candles, but they are pretty pricey when you are on a budget. I estimated how much I spend per candle, and how much it would cost for me to make my own. The initial costs of buying supplies could be daunting, but there are so many ways to cut the costs.
I bought soy wax and wicks from here. I spent roughly $30 on ten pounds of wax and 25 wicks. The shipping cost is what initially deterred me since it was about $12, for ten-pounds of wax, but once I did the math it still made sense. The wax itself was around $15.

I didn't purchase the candle-making pots or anything else, and used containers that I had around the house with the exception of some mugs I bought from Savers thrift store for 99 cents each. The only thing I had on hand that could get pricey are my essential oils. I bought these years back and still have them. They're such a great investment for last minute gifts and DIYs. There isn't much to candle-making once you've gotten your basic ingredients. I used glue to hold down and center the wicks, and a mixture of clothespins and bamboo sticks to keep the wicks in place.
I don't have a double boiler so I just used a big pot and a smaller pot to melt the wax, and transferred it into a mixing bowl with a spout for an easier pour.
You have to wait about 24-hours to use the candles, and they burn clean and smell amazing. They would make great gifts too. I made a few extra to keep on hand just incase I forget someone's birthday :)











No comments:

Post a Comment